23 Jun 24 Tips to Increase Health and Vitality
I’ve posted before about the importance of your Vitamin D number. As it relates to breast cancer, if you can get your levels above 60, you will increase your chance of living cancer-free for the rest of your life by 50%! That’s just one example of the power we have to control our own health.
In the book Super Genes: Unlock the Astonishing Power of Your DNA for Optimum Health and Well-Being, Dr. Deepak Chopra and Dr. Rudolph Tanzi write: ”Only 5% of disease-related gene mutations are fully deterministic, while 95% can be influenced by diet, behavior, and other environmental conditions. Current models of well-being largely ignore genes, yet studies have shown that a program of positive lifestyle changes alter 4,000 to 5,000 different gene activities….You are not simply the sum total of the genes you were born with. You are the user and controller of your genes, the author of your biological story. No prospect in self-care is more exciting.”
My friend and patient, Karen Schackelford, is a breast-cancer survivor and shares this list of 24 little changes you can make in your life to increase your health. While Karen developed this list from her particular vantage point, the suggestions can benefit us all. My comments follow the tips.
1. TAKE A VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT – Typically you will need about 5,000 IU to get your number in the optimal range of 60-70. If you are treating cancer or working to prevent a recurrence, many doctors will recommend a higher number. Some of my patients need more and some need less, so it’s important to test and retest to find out how much you really need. Too much vitamin D can be toxic so be sure have your doctor closely monitor your levels. You can purchase Vitamin D3 online in the store.
2. KEEP YOUR GUT CLEAN and TAKE PROBIOTICS – As Hippocrates wrote, “All disease begins in the gut.” Today, we’re learning more and more the truth in this statement. Certainly, keeping your gut clean isn’t as simple as taking a probiotic, but supplementing with a probiotic is one of the most important things you can do to re-balance your gut microflora and maintain a healthy environment for absorption of nutrients.
3. EXERCISE AND SWEAT – I recommend high-intensity interval training or Peak 8 to all my patients. Regular exercise like this can help increase your chance of staying cancer-free or avoiding a recurrence by a significant percentage, as much as 40-50%.
4. AVOID SMOKING AND (AT LEAST GREATLY REDUCE) ALCOHOL
5. YOUR WEIGHT MATTERS – Excessive estrogen, which can cause cancer, is stored in fat. Research has shown that being overweight substantially raises a person’s risk of many cancers. To help support healthy estrogen metabolism, try DIM Estro Detox.
6. ELIMINATE SUGAR IN ALL FORMS – Research is mounting in this area. Do all you can to eliminate or greatly reduce the sugar in your diet.
7. REDUCE STRESS – Scientists have linked the activation of a stress gene in immune-system cells to the spread of breast cancer to other parts of the body. Learn more.
8. OPTIMIZE YOUR SLEEP – Get tips on how to sleep well in my post about the Power of 80%.
9. OPTIMIZE YOUR DIET – Eat organic, colorful, non-GMO whole foods that aren’t processed and are mostly plant based. Consume healthy oils like avocado and coconut. When you eat meat in moderation, ensure it’s grass-fed, free-range without hormones or antibiotics.
10. EVERY DAY, DRINK 1/2 – 2/3 YOUR BODY WEIGHT IN OUNCES OF FILTERED WATER WITHOUT FLOURIDE OR CHLORINE
11. DISCUSS THE RISKS OF BIRTH CONTROL PILLS WITH YOUR DOCTOR
12. BREASTFEED EXCLUSIVELY FOR UP TO THE FIRST 6 MONTHS
13. INCLUDE TURMERIC or CURCUMIN IN YOUR DIET – Learn more.
14. SEE IF YOU HAVE AN IODINE DEFICIENCY AND CORRECT IT IF YOU DO
15. DON’T BATHE OR SHOWER IN UNFILTERED WATER – Get a whole-house filter or a shower head that filters your water.
16. AVOID MAINSTREAM TOOTHPASTE WITH FLOURIDE AND UNNATURAL ADDITIVES
17. QUIT USING MAINSTREAM ANTIPERSPIRANT/DEODORANT – Try a natural alternative, like Primal Pit Paste.
18. USE NATURAL, PLANT-BASED CLEANING PRODUCTS
19. AVOID SCENTED CANDLES, SOY CANDLES AND AIR FRESHENERS – They mimic estrogen and can increase your levels as well as your risk of cancer. Instead, use natural, essential oils and a diffuser.
20. USE ALL-NATURAL PERSONAL CARE PRODUCTS, INCLUDING SUNSCREEN
21. DON’T USE TEFLON NON-STICK POTS AND PANS – Instead, use iron, stainless steel or ceramic.
22. STOP USING THE MICROWAVE
23. FIND THE RIGHT SUNSCREEN
24. GO CHEMICAL FREE IN YOUR GARDEN
As Karen said, these tips aren’t rules that limit, they’re an opportunity to take care of your body and live a healthier life. How are you helping your epigenetics to boost your health and vitality?
Mary Caire MD empowers the world to create a culture of optimized health guided by DNA and epigenetics.