10 May Power of 80%: your choices are your power
The power of 80%! That’s the percentage of your health and performance within your control and why making choices that improve your epigenetics is so important.
Every second of every day, the body is rebuilding itself. About 1% of our cells are made new each day. An entire organ system in our bodies can be completely replaced in 6 months. Our daily choices are key to our future health.
Last week, I spoke to Aubrey middle school and high school athletes about this topic. The tips I provided in five key areas will definitely help them become better athletes, but the information provided can help us all.
So let’s review some of the most important steps we can take to improve our wellness.
- High Intensity Interval Training (also known as HIIT) maximizes fat burn and muscle bid in a shortened period of time. Learn more about a form of HIIT called Peak 8 in my video post.
- Your body is about 70% water and the best way to stay hydrated is by drinking pure, filtered water. Water helps keep you cool, increases your energy level naturally, removes toxins and removes waste out of your body.
- If you’re an athlete, avoid sports drinks because they have too many additives and chemicals that aren’t good for your body. Make your own sports drink with natural ingredients by following this recipe from Wellness Mama.
- Take the Whole 30 challenge for 30 days to reset your eating habits and start a healthier lifestyle.
- Once a day, enjoy my Green Drink recipe with blended fruits and veggies .
- Sleep is critical for optimal health. It has a direct effect on your physical, emotional and mental health. Getting enough sleep keeps your energy levels high during the day and your immune system strong.
- Turn off all electronics at least an hour before bed.
- Don’t eat, drink or exercise right before bed.
- Keep your room as dark as possible.
- Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time each day.
- Adults, to support better sleep, take my melatonin supplement, which is also a powerful antioxidant.
- A positive attitude improves the way our genes are expressed (epigenetics) and impacts our DNA.
- Smile, hug, think the best, believe in yourself, compliment others. When you think well, you can feel well too!
If you’re a student athlete or your son or daughter is, download my handout on the power of 80%, which includes recipes for the Green Drink and the homemade sports drink.
Mary Caire MD empowers the world to create a culture of optimized health guided by DNA and epigenetics.